The library was founded in 1907 (formerly the Library of the Mineralogical-Geological Institute; 1919-1968: Library of the Geological State Institute; since 1969 today´s name). Total loss in WW2. In May 2004, the Library of the Mineralogical-Petrographic Institute was taken over. Published literature from the institute: Mitteilungen aus dem Geologisch-Paläontologischen Institut (1912 - 2006).
We are holding about 1,150 journals. About 150 of these titles are held regularly. The journals are alphabetically sorted and cannot be borrowed. In addition, wehaveabout 22,000mapsand1200aerial photographs.