PD Dr. Claudia Vanelle
Senior staff scientist
Please contact me for an appointment.
Key aspects of activity
- Wave propagation in acoustic, elastic, and anisotropic media
- Multiparameter methods for seismic subsurface imaging
|1986–1990||Apprenticeship in high frequency electronics at radio NDR Hamburg.|
|1990–1997||Study of Physics at the University of Hamburg.|
|25.2.1997||Diploma in Physics (with distinction). Title of the thesis: Photometric calibration of objective prism plates.|
|1997–1998||Research associate at the astronomical observatory (Hamburger Sternwarte) at UofH.|
|1998–2004||Research associate at the Institute of Geophysics at UofH.|
|3.4.2002||Ph.D. (summa cum laude). Title of the thesis: Traveltime-based true-amplitude migration.|
|2004–2005||Research associate at the Institute of Geosciences at the University of Kiel.|
|2005–2006||Research associate at the Institute of Geophysics at UofH.|
|Since June 2006||Senior staff scientist at the Institute of Geophysics at UofH.|
|17.10. 2012||Habilitation. Title of the thesis: Stacking and migration in an/isotropic media.|
- Student adviser and guidance counsellor
- Member of the exam committee for the M.Sc. programme Geophysics
- Member of the exam committe for the B.Sc. programme Geophysics/Oceanography
- Study coordinator for the B.Sc. programme Geophysics/Oceanography as well as for the M.Sc. programme Geophysics. For more information please see here.
- Equal opportunity representative of the Institute of Geophysics and spokeswoman for equal opportunities at the Department of Geosciences at UofH from 1997 to 2018. For more information please see here.
- Manager of the Wave Inversion Technology (WIT) project.
Modules and Courses in the B.Sc. programme Geophysics/Ozeanography:
- GEIN-G Introduction to Geophysics
- VGSW Seismic waves (exercises)
- VGAN Applied geophysics: reflection seismics (exercises)
- GSEM Seminar
- VGUEB Geophysical field course
Modules and courses in the M.Sc. programme Geophysics:
- MIG Migration of reflection seismic data (lectures and exercises; module coordinator)
- ANI Seismic anisotropy (lectures and exercises; module coordinator)
- ASEM Seminar on Applied Seismics (seminar; module coordinator)
- OP Orientation project (module coordinator)
- PP Preparatory project (module coordinator)
- MT Master's thesis (module coordinator)
Please note that I currently do not accept new students for summer internships nor for Ph.D. supervision.
My publications are listed in the Institute's publications database.
My scientific interests focus mainly on seismic reflection imaging with special emphasis on true-amplitude migration, ray method, multiparameter stacking, and seismic anisotropy.
- Propagation of sound waves using my bass and guitars as sources / initial conditions.
- Handcrafting things, ranging from needlework (to keep my friends and relatives plied with knit hats and socks) to wielding power tools (most recently-finished project: building my own sauna).
- Study of Finnish language at the Institut für Finnougristik/Uralistik of the University of Hamburg.